California governor OKs ban on gay conversion therapy, calling it ‘quackery’
Therapist to challenge ‘gay cure’ ban
- NEW: Two groups say they’re filing lawsuits challenging the newly signed California law
- NEW: A “reparative therapist” calls the law “the height of … irresponsibility”
- The law will prohibit sexual orientation change therapy for children under age 18
- A psychiatric group says the therapy can bring on depression and self-destructive behavior
(CNN) — Therapy aimed at turning gay kids straight will soon be illegal in California, with the state’s governor declaring he hopes a new law will relegate such efforts “to the dustbin of quackery.”
The legislation — which the state Senate passed in May, Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law this weekend and will take effect January 1 — prohibits attempts to change the sexual orientation of patients under age 18.
“This bill bans non-scientific ‘therapies’ that have driven young people to depression and suicide,” Brown tweeted. “These practices have no basis in science or medicine.”
But practitioners of so-called “reparative therapy” say the assertions of the governor and gay rights advocates “just are not true,” according to David Pickup, a spokesman for the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality. etc……………….
|HIV among Gay and Bisexual Men|
|View PDF||May 2012|
Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM)1 represent approximately 2% of the US population, yet are the population most severely affected by HIV. In 2009, MSM accounted for 61% of all new HIV infections, and MSM with a history of injection drug use (MSM-IDU) accounted for an additional 3% of new infections. That same year, young MSM accounted for 69% of new HIV infections among persons aged 13–29 and 44% of infections among all MSM. At the end of 2009, an estimated 441,669 (56%) persons living with an HIV diagnosis in the US were MSM or MSM-IDU.
New HIV Infections2
- In 2009, MSM accounted for 61% of new HIV infections in the US and 79% of infections among all newly infected men. Compared with other groups, MSM accounted for the largest numbers of new HIV infections in 2009.
- Among all MSM, white MSM accounted for 11,400 (39%) new HIV infections in 2009. The largest number of new infections (3,400) occurred in those aged 40–49.
- Among all MSM, black/African American MSM accounted for 10,800 (37%) new HIV infections in 2009. Whereas new HIV infections were relatively stable among MSM overall from 2006–2009, they increased 34% among young MSM—an increase largely due to a 48% increase among young black/African American MSM aged 13–29.
- Among all MSM, Hispanic/Latino MSM accounted for 6,000 (20%) new HIV infections in 2009. The largest percentage of new infections (45%) occurred in those aged 13–29.